Thursday, March 15, 2007

Weird Comics Dept. STARDUST THE SUPER WIZARD?

I've long been an enthusiastic fan of primitive comics so I was delighted when I ran across this story while perusing FANTASTIC COMICS #12 (1940-Fox Publications)

>- available from Golden Age Comics Downloads-<

The utter bizarrness of the artist's style immediately grabbed my eye-looked almost like an underground from the 60's!

I'd never heard of the creator, one Fletcher Hanks, but apparently as I lay napping, his work has been undergoing something of a revival & he's being lauded as the "Ed Wood" of comics. (God, almost any comic creator of that era could lay claim to that title..that's why I love Golden Age comics so.) Stardust has earned a webpage devoted to his surreal shenanigans & Fantagraphics is putting out a collection of Hanks work called I SHALL DESTROY ALL CIVILIZED PLANETS: THE FANTASTIC COMIC WORK OF FLETCHER HANKS.

This is some seriously brilliant shit..I mean, just LOOK at that apple-headed mother fucker(!) STARDUST THE SUPER WIZARD?..hee heeeee....you know the cat wuz high...

Good ol' Wikipedia has a article on Mr. Hanks, uv cuss:

Wikipedia: Fletcher Hanks








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home